At a Scott County nursing home incidents of abuse by the staff included:
• Squirting a blind resident in the face and making her think it was nasal secretions.
• Rolling blankets to make it appear someone was in the bed of a resident who was diagnosed with anxiety and became upset when others were in her room.
• Crawling on the floor and barking at a resident who had a fear of dogs.
• Purposely making a resident wait for her medication, even though it was known the resident believed taking her medication at the same time daily would help her medical condition.
• Attempting to convince a resident that catsup was blood.
• A nurse did not intervene when one resident bit another resident and later admitted commenting that the resident deserved it.
The Illinois Department of Health produces quarterly reports on nursing home violators. To access the website: http://www.idph.state.il.us/about/nursing_home_violations/quarterlyreports.htm