Iowa Nursing Home with Illinois Ties Added To Federal Watch List
An Iowa nursing home in Dallas County has joined other troubled homes on the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services’ (CMS) Special Focus Facilities (SFF) list due to its established pattern of numerous, serious violations related to resident care. Rowley Memorial Masonic Home in Perry is responsible for 40 older residents. It is run by Health Dimensions Group, a Minnesota company that also manages nursing homes in Illinois and six other states.
Inspectors recently cited the Iowa home for:
- contributing to a resident death
- medication errors
- improper use of psychotropic drugs
- hiring an unlicensed caregiver
- inadequate training of staff
- failure to complete background checks on workers
- failing to protect residents from sexual abuse
- allowing a kitchen worker to supervise its dementia ward
State records and CMS reports over the recent years have cited numerous difficult situations at Rowley including that the home was unable to buy bottled oxygen for the elderly residents who needed it to breathe. Countless residents reported soiling themselves as they waited 40 minutes for someone to come to their aid. One resident had to be taken by ambulance to a hospital after being found unresponsive due to a staff-induced drug overdose.
In November, the agency suspended all Medicaid and Medicare payments for new admissions to the Dallas County nursing home that is now operating on a conditional license from the state.
Illinois Has 22 Nursing Homes on the Same CMS SFF List
Residents of all nursing home facilities deserve better. And sadly, these stories of nursing home abuse and neglect are happening in every single U.S. state, including Illinois. Our state has 22 known Illinois SFFs identified by CMS to have the highest likelihood of putting residents at risk of abuse or neglect.
Currently, those facilities include:
- Accolade Healthcare of Pontiac
- Alden Terrace of McHenry Rehabilitation
- Aperion Care – Bloomington
- Aperion Care – Cairo
- Aperion Care – Capitol
- Burgin Manor
- Champaign County Nursing Home
- Champaign Urbana Nursing & Rehabilitation
- Edwardsville Nursing & Rehabilitation Center
- Elevate Care Waukegan
- Franklin Grove Living and Rehabilitation
- Gardenview Manor
- Generations at McKinley Court
- Generations at McKinley Place
- Greentree of Bradley Rehabilitation
- Helia Healthcare of Belleville
- Helia Healthcare of Champaign
- Landmark of Richton Park
- South Elgin Rehab & HCC
- Suburban Nursing & Rehab Center
- Swansea Rehab Health Care
- Willow Crest Nursing Pavilion
It is emotionally painful to discover that a loved one is experiencing abuse or neglect. However, an attorney can guide you through this challenging time and protect residents from further harm.
Call Levin & Perconti If an Illinois Nursing Home Failure Caused a Resident’s Injury or Death
If you suspect nursing home abuse or neglect may have contributed to a loved one’s injury or death, please contact Levin & Perconti’s team of lawyers immediately. Call us toll-free at 877-374-1417 or in Chicago at (312) 332-2872 for a FREE consultation.