COVID-19 in Nursing Homes - Learn More.

Filing a complaint and reporting abuse

If you have a problem with a long-term care facility, try first to resolve it with the staff person who is involved. If this does not work, discuss the matter with that person’s supervisor. If necessary, continue up the supervisory chain of command until you reach the facility administrator (for example, nurse aide, unit charge nurse, director of nursing, administrator).

Always give the facility administrator a chance to resolve the problem before referring it to an outside agency for investigation.

If the facility administrator is either unable or unwilling to properly resolve the problem within a reasonable period of time, call the Illinois Department of Public Health’s toll-free hotline number, 800-252-4343. The information will be referred to a Department investigator, who will follow up on the complaint. Confidentiality is assured.

Lawyer Monthly - Legal Awards Winner
The National Trial Lawyers
Elder Care Matters Alliance
American Association for Justice
Fellow Litigation Counsel of America
Super Lawyers
Contact Information