Bankrate recently released a step-by-step guide for people who find themselves needing to manage their parent’s finances. The eight steps include:
1. Finding all financial accounts and documents.
2. Collecting and paying bills.
3. Locating powers of attorney and/or living trust documents.
4. Opening your parents’ safe-deposit box.
5. Becoming a parent’s guardian.
6. Documenting everything you do.
7. Consider hiring a financial planning team.
8. Consider updating investments.
For the full article.