Fined for failure to perform appropriate emergency response measures for a resident who was found gasping for air. Staff did not attempt rescue procedures and were not trained on the correct ways to assist a choking victim. The resident was found dead in his wheelchair by paramedics responding to the call. In addition, the facility failed to adequately supervise and monitor another resident, who was on a pureed diet, during mealtime. The resident choked on a peach slice and died several days later at a local hospital. The facility has not yet requested a hearing, but is still within the allotted time to do so.
The Illinois Department of Health produces quarterly reports on nursing home violators. To access the website: http://www.idph.state.il.us/about/nursing_home_violations/quarterlyreports.htm