The family of a Pennsylvania man with Bipolar Disorder and Parkinson’s Disease has sued the nursing home where he resided after he died from injuries sustained while smoking at their facility. Kenneth Rodarmel, 73, suffered serious burns while smoking in February 2016 and died less than a month later in a nearby medical center.
The lawsuit alleges that the nursing home, Fair Acres Geriatric Center in Lima, Pennsylvania, neglected to allocate a safe space for residents to smoke, as well as to properly supervise those who had been deemed in need of oversight while smoking. Mr. Rodarmel also endured accidental cigarette burns in 2014 and was transitioned from unsupervised smoking status to supervised.
Lack of Supervision a Continuing Problem at Fair Acres & Nursing Homes Across the Country