In another case of nursing home abuse and neglect, a disabled woman recently choked to death on a chunk of meat at a Boston nursing home. The 62 year-old was only supposed to be given soft foods because she had a swallowing impairment that put her at risk of choking. She had only been living at the home for a few weeks before a staff member accidentally served her a solid meal for lunch. The woman began to choke in the dining room; however, present care assistants state that she showed no signs of distress. They realized what was wrong when a staff member checked to ask why she did not touch her pudding. The care assistant who served the woman the meal said she was unfamiliar with the resident and was not aware of special requirements. At the time of choking, the qualified nurse on staff was on a break.
For the full article.