Final Illinois Nursing Home Violator Report Released for 2018
On January 24, 2019, the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) released the final Quarterly Report of Nursing Home Violators for 2018. This most recent report dating October 2018 thru December 2018 highlights 28 Illinois facilities cited for the most serious type “A” violations of the Nursing Home Care Act, a statute that provides nursing home residents and their families with the assurance that proper and safe care will be received. According to IDPH, an “A” violation pertains to a condition “in which there is a substantial probability that death or serious mental or physical harm will result, or has resulted.”
Facilities with an “A” violation in quarter four of 2018 included:
- Admiral at the Lake, a 36-bed skilled care facility located at 933 West Foster Avenue in Chicago.
- Alden Terrace of McHenry, a 316-bed skilled care facility located at 803 Royal Drive in McHenry.
- Alden Town Manor, a 249-bed skilled care facility located at 6120 West Ogden in Cicero.
- Alpine Fireside, a 99-bed skilled, intermediate, and shelter care facility located at 3650 North Alpine Road in Rockford.
- Clark Manor, a 267-bed skilled care facility located at 7433 North Clark Street in Chicago.
- Evenglow Lodge, a 214-bed skilled and shelter care facility located at 215 East Washington in Pontiac.
- Generations at Applewood, a 115-bed skilled care facility located at 21020 Kostner Avenue in Matteson.
- Granite Nursing, an 86-bed skilled care facility located at 3500 Century Drive in Granite City.
- Holy Family Villa, a 129-bed skilled care facility located at 12220 South Will Cook Road in Palos Park.
- Lewis Memorial Christian Village, a 171-bed skilled care facility located at 3400 West Washington in Springfield.
- Manor Court of Clinton, a 134-bed skilled care facility located at 1 Park Lane West in Clinton.
- Mosaic of Lakeshore, a 313-bed skilled care facility located at 7200 North Sheridan Road in Chicago.
- Newman Rehab and Health Care Center, a 60-bed skilled care facility located at 418 South Memorial Park Road in Newman.
- Presence at St. Joseph Center, a 124-bed skilled care facility located at 659 East Jefferson Street in Freeport.
- Presence Villa Franciscan, a 154-bed skilled care facility located at 210 North Springfield Avenue in Joliet.
- River North of Bradley, a 120-bed skilled and intermediate care facility located at 650 North Kinzie in Bradley.
- Rochelle Rehab, a 50-bed skilled care facility located at 900 North Third Street in Rochelle.
- Rosewood Care Center of Alton, a 180-bed skilled care facility located at 3490 Humbert Road in Alton.
- Shultz House, a 16-bed intermediate care facility for the developmentally disabled located at 340 Bryan Avenue in Danville.
- Springs at Crystal Lake, a 97-bed skilled care facility located at 1000 East Brighton in Crystal Lake.
- Swansea Rehab and Health Care Center,a 94-bed skilled care facility located at 1405 North Second Street in Swansea.
- Timbercreek Rehab and Health Care, a 202-bed skilled care facility located at 2220 State Street in Pekin.
- Uptown Health Center, a 310-bed skilled care facility located at 4920 North Kenmore in Chicago.
- Village at Victory Lakes, a 120-bed skilled care facility located at 1055 East Grand Avenue in Lindenhurst.
- West Suburban Nursing and Rehab Center, a 259-bed skilled care facility located at 311 Edgewater Drive in Bloomingdale.
- Westminster Village, a 78-bed skilled care facility located a 2025 East Lincoln Street in Bloomington.
- White Hall Nursing and Rehab Center, a 119-bed skilled care facility located at 620 West Bridgeport Street in White Hall.
- Willow Crest Nursing Pavilion, a 116-bed skilled and intermediate care facility located at 515 North Main in Sandwich.
Most of those cited are large capacity bed facilities run by overworked, underpaid, inexperienced, and overburdened staff left with too many residents to care for. Some violations heightened with a serious high-risk designation and received fines of $50,000 for issues that caused actual harm or immediate jeopardy to residents.
Unkept Pressure Wounds, Elopement Prevention, and Medication Errors Top List of Care Issues
Several facilities were cited for failure to identify areas of pressure before deterioration, failure to assess and manage bowel status and movement protocol failure to develop or implement effective care plans to prevent falls, failure to supervise a unit, to communicate an increase in exit-seeking behaviors and prevent elopement, to ensure a door alarm sounded, and to develop a care plan for wandering residents, and to have equipment ordered by a physician for a newly admitted resident. Other lack-of-care related issues included failure to provide care according to accepted standards of practice and something as simple as failing to ensure pain management was provided and providing accurate medication dosage.
A number of nursing homes were cited for type “B” violations. Readers can view the full fourth quarter nursing home violator report by the Illinois Department of Health here. We feel sharing this information is always best shared with the community at large and may alert family members of a loved one’s lack of nursing home care or heightened risk of neglect.
Violators of the Illinois Nursing Home Care Act Should Be Held Accountable
If your loved one is a resident at one of these facilities and a victim of nursing home abuse or neglect, contact the skilled legal team at Levin & Perconti to discuss your case. Nursing homes must follow care rules and are expected to use a high degree of support and professional standards for their residents. This quarterly report alleges these facilities failed in some capacity to do so and all should be held responsible. Fines, no matter how little the amount, should be taken seriously.
With nearly three decades of experience and over half a billion dollars recovered for our clients, we are Chicago’s top nursing home abuse and neglect attorneys.
Call us now at (312) 332-2872 or complete our online case evaluation form for a free consultation with one of our nursing home abuse and neglect attorneys.