The Symphony of Morgan Park, formerly known as the Renaissance Park South, is facing a lawsuit from the family of 89 year old Christine Young, who suffered from blindness and required supervision and assistance with eating and other daily tasks. The lawsuit alleges that the nursing home failed to properly supervise her and that she managed to obtain and choke on a piece of candy, ultimately dying from cardiac arrest. While the lawsuit does not specifically state that she was given the candy by staff, it does reference a bag of candy on her bedside table and her inability to reach for the candy herself, given her condition.
Elderly in Nursing Homes at High Risk for Choking Incidents
Sadly, choking happens frequently in nursing homes and to the elderly in general. Medications and medical conditions can affect a person’s ability to properly chew and swallow food, resulting in tragic circumstances. Although these risk factors are known to nursing home administrators and staff, oftentimes restrictions are not noted in care plans for residents or if documented, employees might overlook restrictions and allow residents to eat foods that should be avoided.
The nursing home abuse attorneys of Levin & Perconti have successfully handled many choking lawsuits against nursing homes, including a $1 million verdict for the family of a 67 year old man who was fed foods that were strictly forbidden by improperly trained staff members.
If you believe that a loved one suffered serious injury or death as a result of choking in an Illinois nursing home, please take action now. Contact us online or call us at 877-374-1417 or 312-332-2872 to set up a free and confidential consultation with one of our lawyers to review your case.