The family of a Pennsylvania man with Bipolar Disorder and Parkinson’s Disease has sued the nursing home where he resided after he died from injuries sustained while smoking at their facility. Kenneth Rodarmel, 73, suffered serious burns while smoking in February 2016 and died less than a month later in a nearby medical center.
The lawsuit alleges that the nursing home, Fair Acres Geriatric Center in Lima, Pennsylvania, neglected to allocate a safe space for residents to smoke, as well as to properly supervise those who had been deemed in need of oversight while smoking. Mr. Rodarmel also endured accidental cigarette burns in 2014 and was transitioned from unsupervised smoking status to supervised.
Lack of Supervision a Continuing Problem at Fair Acres & Nursing Homes Across the Country
Despite classifying patients as needing to be supervised, the lawsuit cites a Department of Health & Human Services report that says after talking to residents who smoke at Fair Acres, 30% of them reported being injured or burned while smoking.
Adequate supervision is crucial in protecting the safety of nursing home residents. Failure to do so is considered neglect and can result in injury and even death. Unfortunately this is a growing epidemic due to substandard staffing policies and we’ve become inundated by frequent media reports of nursing facilities across the United States trimming costs by cutting staff.
Please contact the nursing home abuse and neglect attorneys at Levin & Perconti if you believe you or a family member has experienced any form of abuse or neglect while residing in a nursing facility. Consultations are free and can be submitted by calling us toll-free at 877-374-1417 or filling out an online case evaluation form.