State officials have fined the Golden Moments Senior Care Center in Jacksonville, Illinois $50,000. The nursing home was fined for poor care that has been connected with the wrongful death of a 74-year-old resident who choked on food. The elderly man was developmentally disabled and staffers knew that he had a risk of chocking on food. The nursing home employees did not feed the patient a proper diet. An Illinois Department of Public Health report revealed that the man had no teeth and should have ground up meat. However, the nursing home gave the victim a piece of ham that had only been torn into pieces. The man then collapsed and died upon eating the ham. The coroner found ham pieces and mashed potatoes lying next to his body and a wad of ham the “size of a tangerine” in his windpipe. The coroner than filed a complaint with the Illinois Department of Public Health. Golden Moments Senior Center has already faced fines after an employee was accused of nursing home abuse. This nursing home has been the center of many posts on this nursing home negligence blog as well. If you have had problems with Golden Moments Senior Center, please contact a Chicago nursing home lawyer. To read more about the choking incident, please click the link.