Since the holidays are approaching and many people living in nursing homes eagerly await a visit from an out-of-town friend or family member, Nebraska’s Omsbudsman Program has published suggestions for visiting a loved one in a nursing home:
1. Check to see if the nursing home you intend to visit has specified visiting hours.
2. Arrange a time when your resident will have the most energy.
3. Inquire about pet visits and limitations.
4. If your loved one is in a specialized unit, there may be different visiting hours and regulations. Check ahead to see if these affect your visit.
5. Visits where you will take the resident outside of the facility are always encouraged, when possible. Coordinate these arrangements in advance with the resident and staff.
6. Because visits can sometimes be emotional, seek support and advice from the nursing home social service staff or administration.
For the full article.