In choosing a nursing home for their loved ones, people are often rushed and do not have the time to research whether nursing homes are respected or infamous for nursing home abuse and neglect. A recent Florida article gave readers tips for finding a nursing home while under a time crunch:
1. Know your rights. If a hospital is forcing you to discharge your loved one, you have appeal rights under Medicare that can extend your relative’s stay by two days. Call 1-800-633-4227 for more information.
2. Call the Eldercare Locator at 1-800-677-1116. They will connect you with your local agency on aging, which can give you names and locations of nursing homes.
3. Search online. Consumer Reports recently completed an investigation of nursing homes available online.
4. Compare online. The Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services offers complete surveys of nursing homes online.
5. Check Illinois nursing home state survey reports. When visiting a nursing home, ask for their state inspection survey.
For the full article.