Published on:

Carbon Monoxide found at CHA Senior Housing Building

High carbon monoxide levels were detected at a CHA senior housing building in the Lake View neighborhood of Chicago. The Mary Hartwell Cartherwood Apartments is a senior housing center operated by the Chicago Housing Authority. No one was personally injured by the toxic gas. Police were notified in the early morning of elevated readings on every floor of the nine-story building. Warming buses were brought to the scene but the building was not evacuated and all of the elderly residents were allowed to stay in their rooms. There were very high levels of CO in the building, but the gas company responded quickly and fire crews were able to ventilate the building without evacuating the 90 senior citizens living in the building. Authorities turned off the heat in the building and called in someone to perform maintenance on the furnace. To read the full story, click here.