Published on:

Nursing Home Fined After Allowing Resident to Choke to Death

Officials of a nursing home say they are appealing a $100,000 state fine for the death of a resident who choked on a ketchup packet. The state Department of Public Health issued the fine in July, after the man’s 2006 death. Investigators had found 85-year-old man often tried to eat inedible objects, yet the operators of the nursing home did not have a plan to keep the man safe from himself. A mortuary embalmer found the packet in the man’s throat after his death. This case shows how nursing home negligence can come in many different ways. To read the full story, click here.