Published on:

Carbon Monoxide: The Silent Killer

Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas that results from the incomplete combustion of fuels such as natural or liquefied petroleum gas, oil, wood, and coal. It’s often called the “silent killer” because it cannot be detected by sight or scent. Hundreds of people die each year from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning. These deaths can be prevented.

In order to detect carbon monoxide, every home should have a carbon monoxide alarm in the hallway near the bedrooms and all sleeping areas. Batteries should be checked monthly and replaced annually. Consumers should check to make certain that the carbon monoxide detector that they purchase is reliable, meeting one of the following standards: Canadian Standards Association 6.19-01.2001; Underwriters Laboratories Inc. 2034, 2nd ED: March 2005; or International Approval Services 696, 2nd ED: June 1, 1998.

For more information.