Published on:

Glen Bridge Nursing and Rehabilitation Centre – Niles, IL – 3/23/05

Fined for failure to provide adequate supervision to a resident who was an unsafe smoker. The resident left his secured unit unnoticed and went to the smoking room, where he obtained cigarettes and a box of matches. He returned to his room and lit a cigarette that started a fire, which burnt the mattress, bed, wall and bathroom door. The resident sustained third-degree burns to 25 percent of his body and had both his legs amputated at the knee.

The Illinois Department of Health produces quarterly reports on nursing home violators. To access the website: